By Bernard Lightman
The Wiley Blackwell spouse to the background of Science is a unmarried quantity better half that discusses the heritage of technological know-how because it is finished at the present time, delivering a survey of the debates and concerns that dominate present scholarly dialogue, with contributions from best overseas scholars.
- Provides a single-volume review of present scholarship within the heritage of technological know-how edited by means of one of many top figures within the field
- Features 40 essays via major overseas students delivering an outline of the major debates and advancements within the background of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper historic contextualization in the field
- Helps speak and combine views from the historical past of technological know-how with different components of old inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western subject matters that are built-in through the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in accordance with key analytic different types that replicate new techniques within the field
Read Online or Download A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Similar methodology & statistics books
`This truly written and trouble-free booklet is perfect for college kids or researchers who desire to get a simple, yet good clutch of a subject and spot the way it suits with different issues. via following the hyperlinks a scholar can simply and successfully building up a transparent conceptual map of social learn' - Malcolm Williams, Reader in Sociology, college of Plymouth `This is a truly precious booklet, written in an available demeanour for college students starting their learn of social learn tools.
Background, Wild Mice, and Genetics, the 1st quantity within the 4 quantity set, The Mouse in Biomedical study, offers information regarding the heritage, biology and genomics of the laboratory mouse (Mus musculus), in addition to uncomplicated details on upkeep and use of mouse shares. Mouse origins and relationships are coated in chapters on historical past, evolutionary taxonomy and wild mice.
Learn Ethics for Scientists is ready most sensible practices in all of the significant components of study administration and perform which are universal to clinical researchers, specifically these in academia. Aimed in the direction of the more youthful scientist, the publication seriously examines the main parts that proceed to plague even skilled and well-meaning technological know-how pros.
Making feel of issue research: using issue research for tool improvement in future health Care study provides an easy rationalization of the advanced statistical methods focused on issue research. Authors Marjorie A. Pett, Nancy M. Lackey, and John J. Sullivan supply a step by step method of studying facts utilizing statistical laptop applications like SPSS and SAS.
- Mitochondrial Function In Vivo Evaluated by NADH Fluorescence
- The Neglect of Experiment
- Innovation in Industrial Research
- Realizing the Information Future: The Internet and Beyond
- Cause and Correlation in Biology: A User's Guide to Path Analysis, Structural Equations and Causal Inference with R
Additional resources for A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)
The later Pythagoras was a miracle-worker, who personified a righteous life and taught his followers the mathematical mysteries of the universe (O’Meara 1989). In the early sources, Hypatia appears as teacher of both pagans and Christians, who exemplified a broad-minded virtue, whereas in later sources she became a trope to depict conflicts between forms of knowledge that emphasize reason and others that emphasize faith (Dzielska 1995). Finally, learned individuals were sometimes regarded as identical with the texts they left.
The motivations for the production of this LEARNED MAN AND WOMAN IN ANTIQUITY AND THE MIDDLE AGES 29 predictive apparatus probably came from the cult duties of these scholars and the needs of their temples. The priests of these families were charged with performing various rites in conjunction with meaningful celestial events, and with enacting rituals for warding off the ill tidings of certain omens. As the methods of mathematical astronomy developed, they were able to determine with considerable confidence when these events would occur and to predict beforehand when certain omens would appear.
How can we avoid getting lost in its lush vegetation? As we have seen, current high-visibility scholarship seeks to bind the local and the global through tropes of motion, bypassing well-worn social categories, such as the state and civic institutions, that operate at intermediate levels. Following people and objects around, as they travel the globe, allows the historian to collapse low and high levels of resolution into a single story, which is very appealing. Yet the broad range of intermediate levels of analysis should not be forgotten (Kohler and Olesko 2012).